Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentines

I've never been that big of a fan of Valentines Day. I remember being in elementary school and feeling the pressure to give everyone in my class a valentines card and wanting my envelope that we would make every year and hang from our desk to be full too.
When Pete and I got married, I appreciated the efforts made to make this a special day, but still, to me it feels like a forced thing. I have to buy a card and think of a special gift because of the date on the calendar, not because I'm "feeling it" so to speak. I know it's a great opportunity to tell your special one that you love them, but for me, it's so much more meaningful to get flowers in the middle of the week just because he was thinking of me. Or a little love note out of the blue when your not expecting anything. Maybe it's because on Valentines day your expecting something. I mean isn't this the day you have to prove that you love your significant other? This Valentines day, Pete tricked me.....he told me how sorry he was that he had forgotten it was Valentines day. I honestly didn't really care that much, okay, maybe I was a little bummed just because I like and need validation just like every other girl, but I still believe it's more of a consumerist day to make Hallmark and the candy companies very rich anyway.
So, we all headed downstairs for breakfast and I was so suprised to see the table covered with two arrangements of flowers and two beautiful gift bags and two helium balloons and a big stuffed unicorn. He had gone to town for his two special girls!
It was love at first sight for Brooklyn and her unicorn (which she named Valentine) and I was suprised at how special this made me feel considering that I usually profess to be a bit of a Valentines grinch. The thought of him taking the time out of his busy day because he wanted to make me and his little girl feel loved on this Valentines made my grinchy little Valentines heart grow a few sizes bigger.
Maybe this holiday isn't really just about making Hallmark rich afterall.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I totally understand your feelings about Valentine's Day. I used to try and outdo myself each year. But now, I just keep it simple and try and show Alan how much I love and appreciate him, because I know I take him for granted an awful lot the rest of the year. It sounds like you have a great husband! I like that he included Brooklyn too. I bet you both felt very special!

M Mod said...

Amen, sister! Valentine's feels contrived to me too. As a kid, it's fine because it doesn't have much significance, but once you're a teen and older, you feel like a loser if you don't have a special someone to recognize it with. Now that I'm married, it doesn't feel like that big of a deal (although I wouldn't be happy if Pat did nothing at all) because our anniversary is a far more meaningful day to celebrate our love. Now that we have kids, we just want to make it a family affair. I got them cards and boxes of chocolates, and Pat brought home a dozen roses for me, and a single rose for each of the girls, and we had a family date night. It's was the perfect Valentine's Day.

JAMIE said...

I know exactly what you mean about V-day...The middle of the week surprises are even better. However, if V-day will get me some flowers...I will take it! V day was worse when I was single and all my 18 yr old roommates were getting surprises. Now, it is not so much what I get but the fact that I have a special fam to share it all with

Sally F said...

Score another point for Pete!

ScottandMikell said...

That's so sweet! Pete always seems to do cute things. He needs to have a talk with Scott:) I have great memories of Valentine's day. Every holiday was such a big deal when we were kids and now I'm finding that I love creating those memories for my own family. Happy Birthday to the twins. Can you believe they're two?