Monday, February 25, 2008

Izzy's & Bright Music....That's a family night

So tonight we took the kids out to dinner for Family Night. We have in the past avoided restaurants like our lives depended on it because, well....they kind of did. There has been nothing relaxing or fun about taking our kids out to restaurants and I'm sure the restaurants thank us for not stepping foot in their door. The boys have this thing for throwing their food across the room if they don't want to eat it. They can't just leave it on the plate, or push it aside, they must hurl it as far away from them as possible! They also have a thing for chewing up their food and then spitting it out instead of swallowing it....gross. They do that with their drink too. Take a sip then spit it out and then try to finger paint with the grossness on their tray. I seriously want a kitchen that I can just hose down from ceiling to floor, that's how messy they can be. Come to think of it, I could just hose them down too while I'm at it! but I digress on what I intended to say.

So, like I was saying, we took the kids to Izzy's tonight and I am amazed at how smoothly it all went! The boys did remarkably well...calm, happy, no fighting even sitting by each other! They did make a bit of a mess, but just dropped their green beans onto the floor instead of chucking them across the room. They ate with their own forks and didn't spill their milk! I was amazed! I still almost can't believe it. If your wondering what the big deal is you-have-never-eaten with my boys! And then of course Brooklyn ate too much and said her tummy hurt as she laid down on the booth seat with her head on my lap....which totally made me remember how my parents used to take Lauri, Rob and I to Kings Table and we would do the exact same thing! Eat too much and then have to unfasten our pants and we'd want to lay down on the way home! Rob would shiver like crazy because he'd eat too much ice cream! But I digress again and don't wish to delve into the early stages of overeating in my life.

So back to family night! Dinner was fun. We then came home and got jammies on and brushed teeth, then gathered in Brooklyn's room for the "lesson" portion of the evening which included listening to The Land of Obey from our Bright Music collection. Fun stuff. We sang and danced and hoped that somewhere in the fun our kids would learn to actually obey us. The main lyrics to the theme song say..."Come along to the land of obey, where the people are happy they say. Where they learn very young to do the things they should, so when they get old it's easy to be good. It's a catchy tune, but I don't know if it will help Brooklyn obey any better since I overheard her say "I want to go to the land of NOBAY" since it was time to go to bed and she didn't want to! She's four years old people! What do I have to look forward to when she's a teen?

5 comments:

Sally F said...

Omigosh! You are cracking me up!!! Go Brooklyn with the sarcastic comeback already! You're gonna have your hands full!

I, too, have feeling-too-full memories of Kings Table (during the nurses strike, when Mom worked all the time, I think we went there nightly!) But, like you, I'm not in the mood to psycho-analyze my eating issues at the moment, either!

SusieQ said...

The land of NObay. That's really funny!

M Mod said...

Wow, that is too funny! I over hear Chloe mutter things under her breath too, and then she denies it when asked. I'll have to look into that Land of Obey place as my kids have never been there. I don't think it really exists!

Isn't it awesome when you can start doing normal people things again? Here's a remedy for the too full feeling - Papaya Enzyme tablets. They taste yummy & they seriously help move along the digestion. They're awesome! (Not that I'm advocating overeating, but when you find yourself in that position...)

The Queen Bee said...

Ellie says comments like that all the time too. And now it is starting to wear off on Caden. Izzy's is as good family place. One that we can actually take our kids to. :) Add me to your blogroll
www.queensbuzz.blogspot.com.
I totally forgot you had a blog, thanks for the reminder.

Clean Cut said...

I'm seriously enjoying these posts. I'm loving that I'm getting a glimpse into your life--"nobey" and all. What a clever little frustrating comment! On a side note, I love Izzy's. I wish we had something like that here. Going to have to make sure to eat there next time we're in Oregon.