Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

This was kind of a weird Easter for me this year. I enjoyed putting the kids baskets together and loved seeing them get excited over seeing them this morning. I even stayed up late making a breakfast casserole that my Mom always made for us thinking it would be a cool Easter morning tradition and it's really yummy too.......only my kids wouldn't touch it. Then we rushed off to church. I love going to church , especially on special holidays like today but for some reason I had a great desire to attend some kind of special Easter mass or something in a big cathedral, with all the tradition and ceremony. It was a bit of a let down to sit in our very plain chapel. No statues of Christ or any Saints, no paintings or ornate decorations or stain glass or anything. I was wishing I was back in Spain in one of the very old cathedrals I've toured watching the priests in their robes waving the incense or whatever those smoking bowl thingies are that they wave around and just being in the grandness of it all. I wanted to be immersed in the spirit of Christ and really feel overwhelmed by his amazing Atonement and Resurrection. I wanted something bigger today for some reason. It wasn't until I was sitting in primary and the children sang "tell me the stories of Jesus" that it hit me. I felt an overwhelming love for my Savior and felt so touched by the sweet voices singing this simple song. As the tears welled up in my eyes I felt so grateful for the simpleness that can bring forth the greatness of the Spirit. Then my friend sitting next to me said something that made me laugh and it was over. But I felt it! And it was great!

I do wish we had some of the beautiful paintings of Christ that hang in the hallways and foyer in our Chapel. Why is that? Can anyone enlighten me as to why the chapel is so bare?


When we got home from Church and after we put the boys down for their nap, Brooklyn got to have her own personal little Easter egg hunt. Pete hid the eggs all around the living room area and Brooklyn got to go find them. Only once wasn't enough for her. When she found them all she informed her Dad that that was too easy and she wanted to do it again. So Pete put all the plastic eggs back together (she had opened them all to dump out the candy) and hid them all again. They repeated this game about 4 times until she decided she wanted to hide the eggs and have Dad find them. It was at this point I think I snuck upstairs to go take a nap! After the boys woke up, we got ready and headed off to Eagle Crest Resort to join my cousin Susan and her family for Easter dinner. It was fantastic! They had made an amazing prime rib dinner and we had so much fun hanging out with them. I loved watching Jessica (9yrs old) beat the guys at Monopoly! I don't know if Pete's ego will get over that or not! Thanks for making our Easter so great! We love you guys!

4 comments:

Sally F said...

Good question about the paintings in the chapel! I have no idea!

Our ward did a nice Easter Cantata thing where we (the choir) sang lots of hymns where the congregation joined in and we sang lots of oohs and aahs on top. It was pretty neat!

Wish I could have been there with you guys at Easter dinner. Love you!

Alex, JJ, Zac...The Lorenzen's said...

Kelli, I loved your email since it took me back to my mission in Madrid. I think Easter is a bigger deal to Catholics in Spain than Christmas, but you are right it is quite a sight to see.
I decided to attend my family ward for Easter Sunday even though I go to a singles ward. I think I wanted something that would help me enjoy Easter since I have no little ones of my own.
I don't know how you do it...I was watching all the kids in Sacrament I don't think I could even tell you the theme of the day. Oops! I guess I will need to try harder with my "attention" skills if I choose to leave my singles ward.
Loved your spiritual message.
JJ

Lakes are Great said...

we would love to go to the beach...we actually were just trying to plan a little trip there. matt and i are leaving for salt lake city thursday for two weeks. we will be home from the 12th of april through the 28th...then we are leaving for texas for the summer. so if anytime during those two weeks works then we are in. love you guys. glad you had a good easter.

SusieQ said...

We had so much fun with you guys. Thanks for coming!!