I've come to the conclusion that I must live in a bubble and that there is an entire world of people out there that I don't know about and that I really don't understand. I enjoy watching American Idol. I love seeing a contestant walk into their audition with confidence and some kind of normalcy to them, and then sing a song that showcases their talent. But the people.....why are their so many people that say things that make me so embarrassed for them, and then to make their situation even more excruciating, they just can't hold a tune. Why are their so many people that feel the need to showcase their weirdness? Or even if what they spill the beans about on national t.v. is admirable or cool, don't they know it just comes off as just weird in the context of American Idol? Like the kid who shows up for his audition with his dad touting the fact that he's never kissed a girl and wears a heart necklace around his neck of a heart with a keyhole, while his dad wears another necklace holding the key to his heart, and they explain the whole story of how his dad will give the key to his future wife on their wedding day,
yada yada yada. It just comes across as so extremely corny, yet it's really admirable! Then there was the kid who pulled out a plastic bag full of his own fingernails that he keeps! I just about gaged! Why oh why did he feel the need to share this disturbing secret with Ryan
Seacrest, knowing that the whole world will now know about this? So many people that they "exploit" for entertainment purposes
willingly show up and give them what they want! I just don't understand the need so many people apparently have for the spotlight. I've never met a person like any of these talentless contestants in real life. What about the guy with the long hair and long fingernails who wrote his own song for his audition and came in with a big fan. Do people like him really exist in the real world? And if so, how do they survive not living in reality? Like I said, I really must live in a bubble because I have yet to meet someone actually like that. If they are so out of touch with what is real, how so they survive real life? I wonder what they do for a living and why they think being a famous singer when they can't sing would be a good thing? Do people really get so caught up in the celebrity world that that is what they think they need to be happy? I just don't get it. Oh well, please just don't pop my bubble.
5 comments:
Love this post. It is so crazy to see such a broad spectrum of weirdness as displayed in American Idol auditions. Obviously some people know that the weirder they are the more likely they are to be shown on tv, others who just seems clueless to their weirdness. I actually feel like I have met a lot of people like them in my life actually. Surely you had some crazies on your mission? They keep life interesting and mysterious...
love reading your blog.
Um the fan thing was totally rad because it was an american idol fan...and he was a FAN. very creative. : ) the weird people are the highlight of my week. like the guy in the silver outfit that also made up his own song. got to love it.
"Brothers forever...." Loved that guy!
As for you not knowing anyone like that, you've been out of Eugene too long!
Just brought Grandma over to school so she could read the family blogs and enjoy the pictures. She had a good time. It was fun to catch up.
Somehow I stumbled on your blog and I love it! I am glad that you thought the showcase of the "key thing" was a little corny. I think I am the only one here in UTAH who said that. I honestly think people will do ANYTHING to get on TV. It is sad--bring all your wierdness and you will get on!
Post a Comment