Sunday, January 27, 2008

News of the passing of Pres. Hinckley

It's Sunday night and I just learned that Pres. Hinckley passed away tonight about an hour ago. I have mixed feelings because on the one hand I am so glad he is now reunited with his sweet wife, who we know he missed so much. But on the other hand my heart aches that he is actually gone. I miss him and I love him and I am so sad that I will never get to hear him speak again with his humor and clever wit and his forthright honest way of speaking to us. He was our Prophet for I believe 12 years and I don't think anyone could doubt the love he had for all of us. I felt it every time he spoke. I love that he worked so hard to unite all faiths and showed such deep respect for other faiths. I feel such deep gratitude for the tireless work and dedication he gave to the church, making it a more public, global church. I love that he had interviews with both Mike Wallace from 60 minutes and Larry King and the way he answered each question presented to him with such conviction, and humor and I just have to say that he was just so cool! With such amazing leaders as him, how could I not be proud to be a Mormon!

5 comments:

H-less said...

I am with you! How could we not be proud?! He has been such a part of the church leadership, all our lives and more that it is weird to think of him not being their. He has been in the first Presidency my entire life. Oh' how I will miss him too. I hope I can always remember what I learned from his words and how much he helped me know my Savior. Can you imagine how Marj must've just attacked him though! Wish I could've been there to see that one!

Clean Cut said...

All day I've been trying to come to grips with the magnitude of this. So many thoughts and so many feelings. It's going to take awhile. I look forward to the funeral so that I can feel the strength/support that comes as we remember a life so well lived together.

Lakes are Great said...

It's awesome to me how something so sad as a death (of such a great man) can make me feel so close and united to people who are so far away. It makes me feel close to all the fam and proud to have you all to call family, and it makes me feel connected to all the members of the church...we are all feeling the same feelings. Amazing. Love you.

H-less said...

I just need to tell you how much I love your posts. I am so happy to have an easy way to feel connected with you and the family when we are far away. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I hope you know how much we all love hearing about the details of your life. I love you Kelli.

Sally F said...

Weren't you just so proud of how he brought the church into the public eye so much more? It was always so fun to see what he would say in his interviews. You know he had to be nervous--what an awesome responsibility! But he never showed it!