PMS Sucks. Some months I feel I'm battling fierce, vicious demons who want to suck the very soul from my body, yet other months I barely notice a change. Hormone balance is a real thing and this week I can tell I am one messed up chick. I feel I need to admit myself to an anger management /psych ward. This morning was a classic case in point, where I didn't want to get up and face the day and I felt such pent up anger at the universe I guess because nobody did anything deserving of my bad mood. I went about my usual morning routine but everything made me mad...Brooklyn was too squirmy when I needed to blow dry her hair so I raised my voice at her...the boys threw their eggs on the floor (as always) so I raised my voice at them...Pete wanted to hug me but I was too angry at what? so I shrugged him off and went on in my bad mood...you get the picture. Well the last straw was the boys AGAIN for the gazillion time had crawled up onto the counter in the mud room and thrown everything down onto the floor making a huge mess and my poor hormonally depleted brain just couldn't handle it so I burst out crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth and locked myself in the bathroom before I hurt somebody, or give them nightmares of a raving mad lunatic mother until they are 37. Then I notice the time and I realize that if I don't pull myself together Brooklyn will be late to school, so I exit the bathroom to find a very quiet house. Pete had loaded up the kids and took Brooklyn to school. You are probably thinking ahhh, what a sweet husband he is, but me in my pms'ing hormonally challenged body am a little irritated that he didn't tell me he was leaving. I know, I know, I'm awful, but it gets worse. He comes back home and I won't talk to him, but he's really trying to be kind and help me out by doing the dishes and asking me if I'm okay, so I just lay into him about this and that, and somewhere in there I think I even called him stupid (sorry honey!) but as I was ranting, I notice his eyes....so full of compassion and love. He didn't get angry at my stupidity and irrational behavior, he just apologized. All of a sudden the ice daggers hanging from my heart just melted. I was a puddle of humility and remorse and I just grabbed him and hugged him so tight explaining that he had nothing to apologize for and that I was so sorry for the way I had been treating everyone, etc. I don't know how he did it. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but he possessed this morning the true essence of Christ-like love. He was humble and patient and kind. He would have been very justified in being angry at the way I was acting, but somehow he had the strength to rise above it all and give me what I needed...pure love. Somehow his love overpowered my crazy hormones and sent them running. I had a great day after this. Just another reason why I love my husband.
5 comments:
This is sara lake's sister Jamie...I got on your blog through hers. I was just reading this post and this may sound weird but it made me feel good. It made me feel like ok, so i am not the only one...I am so glad that you share what is really happening. It makes me smile as I have been there and done that (in my own drama way). Thanks for being someone that can make me feel normal (if that is the right word)
ps your husband is awesome! You guys are so great! I love how you are all examples of christlike love
Kelli-your post made me cry because I had one of those PMS days today, too, and was sitting here feeling like a big loser, just certain that nobody else acts like I did today. Thanks for keeping it real. Now we can be losers together. No, just kidding. Now we can both repent, ask for help, and do better tomorrow!
Thanks for keepin' it real, Kel. I think every woman can identify with that. Good job, Pete! Here's to a better day tomorrow everyone!
Ahh, yes, I have had those days. In fact, I had way too many of those days when I had three kids! Towards the end of that stint, I was in tears almost daily (not just PMSing). How great that Pete took it all in stride. My DH thinks that PMS is just an excuse to let my emotions run rampant and unchecked. Anyway, just wanted to ditto what everyone else said - that you're not alone in your insanity. I love you Kelli!!!
Post a Comment